Over 26,000 Six-Year-Olds Apply for Early Year One Entry | KiddyNews

by on 17/02/2026 ...

More than 26,000 six-year-old children have applied for early entry into Year One for the 2027 academic session, following the opening of registration by the Education Ministry on Sunday.

Strong Response Since Registration Opened

Education director-general Azam Ahmad said the ministry received 26,229 applications from children born in 2021 who are seeking early admission into Year One. At the same time, applications were also submitted for 165,906 children born in 2020, who will turn seven in 2027 and fall under the standard entry age.

He shared the figures in a report aired on Buletin TV3, noting that the numbers were recorded within the first three days of registration.

 

Late Registration Options for Six-Year-Olds

Azam said parents of six-year-olds who miss the online registration deadline may still submit manual applications from April 1 to Nov 15, provided their child is assessed to be ready for primary school.

 

Support for Parents Unsure About Readiness

Recognising that some parents may be uncertain about whether their child is prepared for formal schooling, Azam encouraged families to seek professional guidance.

He said state education departments, district education offices and schools are ready to offer advice to help parents make informed decisions that prioritise their child’s well-being and development.

 

Registration Still Open

Year One registration for the 2027 academic session remains open until March 31 and can be accessed through the ministry’s official portal.

Azam also noted that placement appeals may be submitted for reasons such as a change of residence or requests to place siblings in the same school.

Preschool at Five, Year One at Six  But Optional

The surge in early applications follows the government’s recent announcement that preschool education will begin at age five, while Year One entry will start at age six from next year. Early entry into primary school, however, remains voluntary, with parents retaining the final decision.

To prepare for a larger intake, the Education Ministry has previously said it plans to recruit 20,000 teachers and add new classes nationwide to ensure schools are able to support incoming pupils smoothly.



Source:

Free Malaysia Today  – “More than 26,000 6-year-olds apply for early Year 1 entry

Thoughtfully adapted by KiddyNews. Keeping parents and educators informed with the latest ECCE developments from Malaysia and beyond.

MALAYSIA EDUCATION
STAR AWARDS 2025